Re: Instance Digests in HTTP (RFC3230)

Interoperability seems rather lax, especially because I haven't been
able to find if there is actually any server side support (in shipping
code) for anything to interoperate with. Does anyone know of any?
I know of a few clients with support.

>From RFC3230, 4.3.2 Digest

   A Digest header field MAY contain multiple instance-digest values.
   This could be useful for responses expected to reside in caches
   shared by users with different browsers, for example.

   A recipient MAY ignore any or all of the instance-digests in a Digest
   header field.

   A sender MAY send an instance-digest using a digest-algorithm without
   knowing whether the recipient supports the digest-algorithm, or even
   knowing that the recipient will ignore it.

Because there are no recent values in the registry, I see download
clients do this (3x variants of SHA1, 2x of other hashes):

Want-Digest: MD5;q=0.3, MD-5;q=0.3, SHA1;q=0.8, SHA;q=0.8,
SHA-1;q=0.8, SHA256;q=0.9, SHA-256;q=0.9, SHA384;q=0.9, SHA-384;q=0.9,
SHA512;q=1, SHA-512;q=1

(IANA registry Hash Function Textual Names
http://www.iana.org/assignments/hash-function-text-names/hash-function-text-names.xhtml
has updated values).

Various organizations warn...

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/836068

"Do not use the MD5 algorithm
Software developers, Certification Authorities, website owners, and
users should avoid using the MD5 algorithm in any capacity. As
previous research has demonstrated, it should be considered
cryptographically broken and unsuitable for further use."

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/policy.html

"Federal agencies should stop using SHA-1 for digital signatures,
digital time stamping and other applications that require collision
resistance as soon as practical, and must use the SHA-2 family of hash
functions for these applications after 2010... Regardless of use, NIST
encourages application and protocol designers to use the SHA-2 family
of hash functions for all new applications and protocols."

And various organizations have put it into practice:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/StrongerHashes
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/7.2/CHECKSUM.SHA256
ftp://iso5.us.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/iso/5.0.1/SHA512