Re: Multi-server HTTP

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> On 15/09/2009, at 1:59 PM, Anthony Bryan wrote:

>>> Does this imply that each resource has exactly the same set of
>>> representations, or that when two resources share representations, those
>>> representations are duplicates?
>>
>> The latter.
>>
>> Any suggestions for replacement text? Because what I have isn't cutting
>> it.
>
> Hm.
>
> Refers to a resource whose available representations are byte-for-byte
> identical with the corresponding representations of the context IRI.

Thank you, sir. Much appreciated.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryan-metalinkhttp

For anyone interested, you can try out Metalink in HTTP headers w/ the
software from here:

http://metalinks.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/metalinks/checker/
http://metalinks.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/metalinks/webconvert/
(Python script to convert .metalink to Apache directives)

>>> Do torrents have media types yet?
>>
>> Not as far as I know.
>>
>> Which is also why in draft-bryan-metalink we have this:
>>
>> 4.2.10.2. The "type" Attribute
>>
>>  metalink:metaurl elements MUST have a "type" attribute that indicates
>>  the MIME type of the metadata available at the IRI.  In the case of
>>  BitTorrent as specified in [BITTORRENT], the value "torrent" is
>>  required.  Types without "/" are reserved.  Currently, "torrent" is
>>  the only reserved value.
>

> Overloading type like that is bad; register a media type (or get the
> appropriate people to do it).

This was from Julian's comment:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-review/current/msg00155.html

BitTorrent uses "application/x-bittorrent". What would I register?
"application/vnd.bittorrent"?

Probably worse, current Metalink uses "application/metalink+xml" from
when we didn't know any better. Should I register something else?

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads