Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 12:00:51PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Does Mozilla support the Link header for any relation besides stylesheet

Yes, the following get you feed discovery:

   @rel='alternate' @type='application/atom+xml'

   @rel='alternate' @type='application/rss+xml'

And the Mozilla suite browser natively supports everything from "last", "prev",
"next", "first", "up", "copyright", "about", "search", a bunch of other de-facto
@rel values, and all the ones found here:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

Firefox does not support this natively, but there is a plugin to add it.

>> The main advantage of rel="up up up" rather than rel="up3" is that for
>> UAs that only need to know that the link is an "up" and don't care
>> about how far "up" it goes, the keyword automatically works -- you
>> don't have to do rel="up up3". Also, it means that we don't have to
>> register an infinite number of keywords for all possible depths.
>
> Are there UAs that already support "up up" the way you defined it? How
> did that extension make it into the spec anyway?

I needed to express the "up" relation in my HTML and Atom documents, and I took
a look at the HTML5 spec to see what the recommendation was. I wasn't planning
on using HTML5, but I figured that it might be a good place to check anyway.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided that there was no sufficient
reason to use more than a single "up" value. My reasoning is that URIs already
provide a mechanism for UAs to determine the spacial position of the current
resource in relation to the one specified via a link element.

Resource URI:

  http://example.org/dir-a/dir-b/doc-b

Links elements:

  <link rel="up" href="/">

  <link rel="up" href="/dir-a/">

  <link rel="up" href="/dir-a/dir-b/">

The hierarchical position of each link can be found by parsing the URI.

Best,