Re: Fixing the IANA HTTP upgrade token registry, Re: #172 (take over HTTP Upgrade Token Registry) – httpbis

Ho Roy,

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2009, at 3:51 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> It is also a complete waste of time to "register" version indicators.
>>> There is no potential for misunderstanding what they mean, nor potential
>>> for conflicting use.
>>
>> Then we need to change it. My understanding was that the original
>> authors wanted the ability to register different versions so that the
>> registry could point to different documents for them.
>
> Most registries allow multiple references after the token.

Yes, we could do that.

>>> I thought the plan was to obsolete 2817.
>>
>> That part of RFC 2817, yes.
>>
>> But in the meantime we should tell IANA what to put into the registry,
>> because right now it is broken (see
>> <http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-upgrade-tokens/>, it contains no
>> entries for HTTP and TLS, and a single broken entry for Websocket).
>
> Yes, we should tell them to put "TLS", "HTTP", "Websocket", and "waka"
> in the registry.

I'd really like to fix things carefully. Right now, it appears we have
three action items:

1) fixing the current contents of
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-upgrade-tokens/>

2) changing/clarifying the registry format in HTTPbis

3) registering Waka

I'd like to treat those as separate, thus

1) fix the registry contents as proposed,

2) open a new issue for tracking the change in HTTPbis, and

3) let you register Waka yourself (I think all it'll take is email to IANA).

BR, Julian