Re: Review of Content-Encoding: value token [exi]

Dear HTTPbis,

Thank you for your careful review and consideration of the W3C EXI working
group's proposal for a new HTTP content coding token. In reviewing this
thread, I see there have been some initial questions and concerns regarding
the proposal and that some of these may have already been addressed through
the course of discussion. While evaluating various options for EXI content
coding, the W3C EXI working group has had similar discussions both
internally and with W3C Technical Architecture Group (TAG) members. As part
of our evaluation, we considered other alternatives, such as the use of a
specific application/exi media type, a parameterized media-type and media
types of the form svg+exi; however, the EXI content coding solution turned
out to be the lesser of several evils that best satisfied our requirements
and use cases.

While there seems to be a general preference that content codings be
octet-preserving, we noted that the current definition provides the
flexibility to support content codings that are not strictly
octet-preserving. We also noted there the IANA content coding registry
already contains a precedent for this [1]. In particular, the pack200
content coding is not byte preserving.

In speaking with Mark Nottingham last week, I understand HTTPbis will be
re-instating the registry for HTTP content coding value tokens and reviewing
requests for new content codings. The W3C EXI working group would like to
submit a request to register the value token "exi" as a new content coding.
They have asked me to work with you to answer questions about this request
and elaborate as needed regarding our use cases and rationale.

Would it be possible to add this request to you current list of work items?

    Respectfully,

    John

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-parameters

Editor, W3C EXI specification
 <mailto:john.schneider@agiledelta.com> john.schneider@agiledelta.com
 <http://www.agiledelta.com> http://www.agiledelta.com

Re: Review of Content-Encoding: value token

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009AprJun/0779.html#start
779>  ] [ Respond
<mailto:ietf-http-wg@w3.org?Subject=Re%3A%20Review%20of%20Content-Encoding%3
A%20value%20token&In-Reply-To=%253C1245887149.9223.192.camel%40localhost.loc
aldomain%253E&References=%253C1245887149.9223.192.camel%40localhost.localdom
ain%253E>  ] [ More
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009AprJun/0779.html#optio
ns3> options ]

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009AprJun/0780.html>