Re: #184: HTTP/0.9

On 08/11/2009 12:29 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> The assumption that HTTP/0.9 should be understood shouldn't be removed
> until HTTP/1.2, I'd expect?  Surely there are many slim clients that
> rely on trivial http: requests, even today.

HTTP/0.9 is not useful for programmatic stuff, because you don't get
back a status code, so you can't easily know whether the thing you got
back is the thing you were looking for, or an error message.

Trivial clients use HTTP/1.0 (plus the Host header), which is reasonably
simple to implement if you're only doing something trivial. (HTTP/1.1 is
complicated even for trivial requests, because there's no way to prevent
the server from using chunked encoding in the response, or sending an
unsolicited "100 Continue", etc.)

-- Dan