Issue 188, was: Content/Transfer-Codings organization/IANA considerations (issue 143, 188, 189)

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just spent some time looking at issue 143, which is about updating
> both IANA registration procedures and the registry contents.
>
> While doing that, I noticed that there are more changes we should do:
>
> 1) find an RFC 5226 defined IANA policy for the registration
>
> Note that <http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-parameters> currently says:
>
> "First Come First Served with specification recommended"
>
> while RFC 2616 did state:
>
> "New content-coding value tokens SHOULD be registered; to allow
> interoperability between clients and servers, specifications of the
> content coding algorithms needed to implement a new value SHOULD be
> publicly available and adequate for independent implementation, and
> conform to the purpose of content coding defined in this section."
>
> (so no mention of first come first serve)
>
> (new issue: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/188>)

We discussed this in Stockholm, and consensus in the room was that we
want to require a specification plus expert review (see RFC 5226,
Section 4.1).

I have rephrased the sections in Part 1 (Transfer Codings) and Part 3
(Content Codings) accordingly; see
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/670>.

BR, Julian