Re: iPhone streaming Internet-Draft posted

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:05 AM, David Singer wrote:

> At 16:09  -0700 4/08/09, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 2009, at 3:15 PM, David Singer wrote:
>>> The goal of the draft is to produce interoperable
>>> implementations. We wish to keep it focused on a single
>>> transport: HTTP.
>>
>> HTTP is not a transport.
>
> OK, it is a transfer protocol; and this draft layers on it.

No, it just uses it.  User agents and media types are not
another layer -- they are simply using the protocol to transfer
messages.

I don't understand why you are insisting on this marketing crap.
Just describe the media type and its meaning as the contents
change over time.  Which protocol is used to transfer those
contents is completely orthogonal and we need to insist on
the orthogonality principle being obeyed if we are to avoid
being drowned by over-specification.

....Roy