Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

On 24/07/2009, at 12:47 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:19:08AM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> The *title parameter already allows for a language to be associated
>> with
>> the title. See RFC2231 and the examples in the link draft.
>
> Of course, I should have spotted this.
>
> I have two questions:
>
>  * Would it be harmful to mirror HTML and specify a redundant lang
> parameter
>    anyway, even though this can also be functionally acheived using
> RFC 2231
>    syntax. It may be easier for some people to understand this.

My understanding of HTML4 is that @lang identifies the language of the
link text itself, not the title (although that may be a side effect),
since it already has @hreflang. Do I have that wrong?

>  * Is there a default encoding for parameter values, or in fact any
> other part
>    of this header. I could not find anything in the draft which
> would indicate
>    there is a default. Could this cause problems?

If they're a token (i.e., unquoted), they're restricted to ASCII in
the BNF ( token = *CHAR = octets 0-127).

If it's a quoted-string, it's restricted to ISO-8859-1 unless encoded
as per 2047 (like title*) (see RFC2616 section 2.2). However, HTTPbis
looks like it will be further restricting this to ASCII (with defined
encodings into ASCII as needed).

Cheers,