Re: #179: Relax Via MUST

fre 2009-07-17 klockan 13:12 +0100 skrev Jamie Lokier:

> What does omitting Via break, if the intercepting proxy does not
> change the messages, only filters them (and replaces responses with
> errors in the case where something is blocked)?

Omitting Via breaks path HTTP version capability detection.

Normally you don't need to care about the version support of the whole
forwarding path, but sometimes you do.

> I think the ISPs' intercepting proxies I've seen as a mixture of
> adding Via and not adding Via.

Indeed. For various reasons most of which completely unrelated to
interception, but some like to try to hide their proxy for various dumb
reasons..

> Intercepting proxies may also be used for censorship.  Such proxies try
> to be hidden, so they're unlikely to insert Via.

Indeed.

Regards
Henrik