Re: On the use of weak ETags for authoring

ons 2009-07-15 klockan 12:19 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:

> With <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/71>, also
> changed around a year ago, we have clarified that these two variants
> indeed match (weakly), and thus can be used in case where weak matches
> are sufficient.
>
> This is a spec change that some have missed, so in doubt please review
> that you are ok with the current text in
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional-07.html#rfc.section.4.p.7>:

Just to be clear, the text only clarifies what RFC2616 already said.
There is no actual change in the comparision function, just different
wording.

Regarding wording I think the explicit mention of weakness should be
added back to the weak comparison function as it adds clarity to those
who don't quite remember that opaque-tag do not include the weakness
indicator (this is defined many sections away).

      * The weak comparison function: in order to be considered equal,
        both opaque-tags MUST be identical character-by-character.

      * The weak comparison function: in order to be considered equal,
        both opaque-tags MUST be identical character-by-character, but
        either or both of them MAY be tagged as "weak" without affecting
        the result.

Regards
Henrik