Re: Chopan - Compressed HTTP Over PANs (draft-frank-6lowpan-chopan-00)

Go read the draft more closely.

The premise is, low power, low bandwidth personal area networks.

Bytes translate into power, latency and bandwidth used.

So 3 strikes, and conventional text based HTTP is out, in my mind.  HTTP
is *way* more verbose than almost any binary encoding (by a very large
factor).

Lots of uses of HTTP are for things other than transporting large
compressed images, in which the image transport dominates.  Don't
extrapolate general web traffic to the intended applications.

So I don't think that arguing something else may be needed is really
questionable.  I was arguing, however, that: 1) first explore completely
  compatible and extensible encoding; 2) if that isn't compact enough,
then relax compatibility constraints and go to a statefull protocol.
(like we explored over a decade ago, but which have other issues).

I suspect 1) will be sufficient for the stated goals, because when you
are tethered by a low bandwidth net, you always have enough cycles
around.  It's when both performance and compactness are key that 2)
really becomes reasonable.  HTTP parsers are way slower than simpler,
better engineered protocols can be without the legacy than the old
email/mime/http framework carries.
                            - Jim