Re: [#177] Realm required on challenges

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 17:15 +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> [ this was raised anonymously ]
>
> p7 defers to RFC2617 for the definition of challenge.
>
> RFC 2617, section 1.2 says:
>
> challenge = auth-scheme 1*SP 1#auth-param ... The authentication
> parameter realm is defined for all authentication schemes:
>
> realm = "realm" "=" realm-value realm-value = quoted-string
>
> The realm directive (case-insensitive) is required for all
> authentication schemes that issue a challenge.

With you so far.

> The interpretation being that challenges (which is what www-
> authenticate is defined as) MUST contain at least one parameter and
> that parameter MUST be a realm.

Got that too.

> Is it truly necessary for all authentication schemes to include a
> 'realm' paramter? If so, it should be documented (e.g., in the section
> about extension authentication schemes).

I'd have to check, but I'm fairly sure that NTLM doesn't provide a realm
in its challenges. I'm also fairly certain, because that scheme does
connection authentication, not message authentication, that the intended
use - partitioning a single site - doesn't even make sense for that
scheme (nor the Negotiate scheme).

-Rob