Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Note that Gecko, at least, sniffs all HTTP responses without a
>> Content-Type header, and after that treats them all effectively as
>> metadata-provided.  It sounds like doing that is fundamentally
>> incompatible with this specification, though, unless we teach our
>> sniffer to recognize video/audio types by data, not just by extension...
>
> Generally I would encourage you to sniff based on data and not extension
> for anything sent over HTTP anyway.

In that case we'd typically sniff the videos as application/octet-stream.

Which raises an interesting question.  If a <video> points to data that
has Content-Type metadata that says it's application/octet-stream....
I'd say that the UA should ignore that and look at the actual data just
like it would if the MIME type is not set.

-Boris