Re: Pipelining in HTTP 1.1

On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> I am somewhat surprised that your HTTP over SCTP spec allows
>> channels to be reused.  Is there a significant cost associated
>> with channel allocation?
>
> At session startup, each end tells the other how many streams it
> wants to open, and either they agree on the lower number or one of
> them aborts the connection.
>
> That's an argument for a Really Big Number :-)

I thought that they would only cause a limited pool size
(max open channels), but I see now that

RFC4960, sec 5.1.1:

    After the association is initialized, the valid outbound stream
    identifier range for either endpoint shall be 0 to min(local OS,
    remote MIS)-1.

effectively requires the stream identifiers to be reused.  Doh!

....Roy