Re: Correct status code for unknown transfer-encoding

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> over on stackoverflow.com, somebody asked for the right status code to
>> return when the request has a TE: header with an unknown transfer coding
>
> (It would be better to abbreviate Transfer-Encoding with T-E, not TE.)

Missing the smiley here, or are you suggesting to change the protocol on
the wire? (in which case we should first fix Referer).

>> The answer is not obvious; is this a client or a server error? Should
>> the specification say something about this?
>
> Section 3.6 of RFC 2616:
>
>   A server which receives an entity-body with a transfer-coding it does
>   not understand SHOULD return 501 (Unimplemented), and close the
>   connection.
>
> So it does address this already.

Good catch. I was looking at the definition of 501, which has:

"The server does not support the functionality required to fulfill the
request. This is the appropriate response when the server does not
recognize the request method and is not capable of supporting it for any
resource."  --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-06.html#rfc.section.8.5.2>

So minimally, this should be rephrased so that it doesn't sound as if it
was a complete list.

BR, Julian