Re: Feedback for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03

> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> If we disallow inbound links (i.e., take them out of the prose, but
>> as Roy says, still allow them in the syntax, for compatibility),
>> we'll avoid this confusion and also gain some consistency between
>> the serialisations. The only apparent loss is that of inbound
>> links, and if I had to characterise the discussion I've seen so
>> far, it's that their proponents think that they'd be *nice* to
>> have, but I don't see anybody lying down in the road to save
>> inbound links; indeed, when we re-added them, it was based on one
>> or two people saying as much, IIRC.
>> Have I missed something? Otherwise it looks like we're moving
>> towards taking 'rev' out (but still allowing it as a link-extension
>> syntactically). Note that we're still going to update to say that
>> rel links are resource->resource.
>
> So how would that work precisely?
>
> If "rev" is taken out, the presence of a "rel" parameter becomes
> mandatory, right?
>
> In that case, "rev" can not be introduced as an extension anymore --
> either headers using "rev" would need to *also* contain a "rel"
> value to stay valid (breaking the intended semantics), or would need
> to be invalid in that they do not contain the "rel" parameter.

... or rel would need to no longer be required. In 2068, neither rel
nor rev was required...

> So it seems that "rev" can not be introduced as an *extension* at a
> later point, it would be a major change of the specification.
>
> If "rev" is to be taken out, the spec should state that the
> semantics of links without "rel" is undefined, and that future
> specifications can change that.

Yes, I think that's roughly where we're at.

> That being said, I think the semantics of "rev" are clear enough; so
> I would recommend keeping it but maybe to add language discouraging
> its use for now.

Hmm. Defining it but discouraging its use?

To be clear -- I don't have strong feelings one way or another.
However, I do think that rev is one of the more tentative parts of the
spec as it sits.

Cheers,