Re: Feedback for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
>> Sorry? If the URI-Reference is empty, then the target URI is the one of
>> the context.
>>
>> If you want to introduce an extension point for URI templates, we'll
>> need to specify it explicitly.
>
> Where? In this spec? I don't think Link should directly deal with URI-templates (would save me a lot of work but still, not really the general-purpose use-case this spec seems to address). But if you don't think there is a simple way to extend link to support templates, we should discuss it now.

Well, right now there's no extension point; the target does not allow
templating, and a parameter can't override it (recipients will ignore
extension parameters they don't understand).

One potential solution would be to state that if a link target that is
not a syntactically valid URI-reference is reserved for future
extensions (so clients ignore it for now).

Another one would be to use a different header, such as Link-Template,
defined in version 00 of the draft
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-00#section-5>).

Personally, I'd like to see this move ahead without any dependency on
URI templates.

BR, Julian