Re: estimated Content-Length with chunked encoding

On tis, 2008-10-28 at 09:29 +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> >> Interesting enough, the MacOS X WebDAV Client already seems to use
> >> something like that:

> > Oh, cool. A client daring to use chunked encoding in requests!
>
> Is that really so unusual? The "HTTP Implementations" spreadsheet lists at
> least 4 clients supporting it, but it seems the info is lacking for most of
> them:
>
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pAZLaupBqGqXrtsaexTjPYg&gid=0

Supporting and using is slightly different things.. Most of the Yes:es
is on HTTP libraries where I would be a bit disappointed if this wasn't
supported, not user agents. But on the other hand there is no telling of
how many applications ontop of those libraries use the feature. But this
is the first reference I have seen to chunked encoding requests "out in
the wild". And it makes me happy that someone do find it useful despite
all negative talk about how broken the current state is. As you probably
remember I consider chunked encoding of requests as one way of solving
some of the problems we see today with connection management in response
to errors such as authentication required.

Regards
Henrik