Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

Brian Smith wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Of course that's not going to work in practice, as Cyrus pointed out.
>> We want to help servers that generate the URL based on the underlying
>> persistence, so the server really can't predict the final URL until the
>> resource is created.
>
>> Well, do you have a proposal that uses PUT as allowed by the RFC2616,
>> and works for the above use case?
>
> Proposal 1: Simply do allow that use case. WebDAV clients already expect the
> server to create the resources at the URI they are given. This is a pretty
> fundamental part of WebDAV; an extension of WebDAV that didn't support it
> isn't an extension at all.

I wasn't arguing with that use case. PUT-to-create for servers where the
client can pick the URI is fine. PUT-for-update is fine as well.

The use case we were discussing was PUT-to-create, where the server
wants to control the URI.

> Proposal 2: Abandon carddav and use SyncML, which has basically the same
> functionality and is already standardized and widely deployed.

Hey great, head over to the vcarddav WG! :-)

> Proposal 3: Standardize one of the other contact management APIs that have
> been published in the last year. There are many to choose from.

Again, vcarddav is just one potential application. The use case of
server-assigns-URI is a generic one, it really isn't specific to the
contact management space.

BR, Julian