Re: Issue 133, was: multipart/byteranges minimum number of parts

Obviously 2 is the correct answer.

responding with multipart/byteranges is only OK if the client issued a
request with multiple ranges, as this is how the client indicates it
supports multipart/byteranges.

It's entirely fine to respond with a single range within that
multipart/byteranges response if the ranges adds up to a single range or
if the server otherwise chooses to respond with a single range.

The MUST NOT is to respond with multipart/byteranges if the request was
for only one range as there is no way to know if the client supports
multipart/byteranges in response to such requests.

As soon as the request is multi-ranged the server is free to choose
multipart/byteranges if it likes as it then knows the client supports
this, even if not strictly needed for the specific response.

Responding with multipart/byteranges when there is only a single range
in the response is sub-optimal, but does not make it an invalid response
to a multi-range request.

Regards
Henrik