Re: WG Review: HyperText Transport Protocol Bis (httpbis)

I believe some run-time judgement may be needed on whether new
features are really new, really features, and really "must not" be
done.  If we decided that the "Foo" header was unclear or
misimplemented, but fixing that header directly broke some proxies,
what might be done?  Without adding new functionality, we could add a
new "Foo2" header to with clearer syntax, options or implementation
instructions  The new header could be used backwards-compatibly with
the old one if both were used; implementations could prefer the new
header but fall back to the old one.

Does a new header that provides clarity without adding any new
functionality constitute a "new feature"?   I don't want to get into
that semantic argument just because the charter says "MUST not
introduce new features", however desirable and however related to
existing functionality.  I'd like to have the argument about whether
something is worthwhile and improves interoperability and maintains
backwards-compatibility on its own merits.  I recommend we have the
charter discourage new features, but without forbidding something in
a way we may regret.

Lisa