Re: Etag-on-write, 2nd attempt (== IETF draft 01)

Cyrus Daboo schrieb:
> So, for Julian's current proposal, I would like to see an additional
> entity-transform-keyword to help discriminate between (2) and (3). Of
> course what constitutes a 'non-semantic' change is not at all clear, and
> will likely depend on the application and data type. So perhaps
> entity-transform-keyword just needs to be extensible, and other specs
> can extend it - the important point being that if the client sees a
> keyword it does not know about it treats it as 'unspecified'. So CalDAV
> could declare a 'CalDAV-unchanged' keyword that serves could use to
> indicate case (2). AtomPub, XCAP etc could define there own. Each spec
> would have to be very explicit as to what 'non-semantic' changes are
> allowed to the data.

Right. That was the intent with the extensibility model defined in draft
00
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-00.html#rfc.section.4>).
I removed it in 01, because - as always - the extension point distracted
people from the base problem. It could be simply re-added once there's
support for the remainder of the document.

Best regards, Julian