Re: [Ietf-caldav] Re: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00

Scott Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 17:36 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>>So what do I do if a have a resource that accepts HTML form posts,
>>SOAP
>>requests and ADDMEMBER-like semantics on the same URL?
>

> Either:
>
> - Implement it very very carefully.

Hm. What exactly does that mean?

When POST is applied to that resource with a content type of
"application/soap+xml", is it supposed to store the attached entity as a
new resource (with content type "application/soap+xml", returning a
Location response header with the URL of the new resource), or should it
process it according to
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part2-20030624>?

> or
>
> - Change your server organization so that they use different URLs.
>
>>>The only technical reason why a new method would be required in HTTP
>>>is if the message semantics were different.  For example, POST is
>>
>>Of course. That's why they are defined to be different from POST.
>

> But that's just the point - from the perspective of HTTP, the proposed
> ADDMEMBER is not fundamentally different from POST.

No, it's a subset, thus it can not be "fundamentelly different". That's
on purpose.

Best regards, Julian