Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

Julian Reschke wrote:
> >>Because in general, I will have no idea what the server will do with
> >>the POST.
> >
> >Hmm...the meaning of POST is that the server will process the message.
> >If you receive a 201,
> >the server has created a resource.
>
> But *what* does it contain? In general, I can not assume it will store
> the entity as sent (like PUT).
                      ^^^^^^^^

You cannot assume PUT will store the entity as sent either.

Read section 5.4 "Source Resources and Output Resources" in RFC 2518, WebDAV.
(That part's not specific to WebDAV; it's a just a good explanation).

>From the client's point of view, once you have PUT an entity, in
general you have no way to retrieve that exact entity.  Many servers
will process the resource you created to produce the response to GET,
instead of merely returning the entity you sent earlier.

Because you can't necessarily retrieve the entity sent, you can't make
assumptions about what the server stores.  It might store only part of
what you sent, or a transformed version.  What it actually stores --
and the side effects of doing so -- are quite open.

-- Jamie