Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> --On February 15, 2005 5:51:29 PM +0100 Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but protocols should not mandate a behaviour that directly
>> contradicts it's definition in the base protocol -- *even* if it applies
>> only to special clients.
>>

> Well, I don't see this as 'contradicting' the base protocol, rather its
> 'extending' it to clarify behaviour that some servers (perfectly
> legitimately) may do.

OK, I'll have to update the draft with a problem description :-).

HTTP 2616 says in Section 9.6
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#PUT>):

"The PUT method requests that the enclosed entity be stored under the
supplied Request-URI. If the Request-URI refers to an already existing
resource, the enclosed entity SHOULD be considered as a modified version
of the one residing on the origin server. If the Request-URI does not
point to an existing resource, and that URI is capable of being defined
as a new resource by the requesting user agent, the origin server can
create the resource with that URI."

That is, a server that stores the entity under a different URI than the
one provided by the client isn't doing what the client asked for.

Therefore I propose that the client should explicitly state what it
wants. One approach is a new method, other approaches would be to extend
the PUT *request*.

Best regards, Julian