Re: [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

On Feb 15, 2005, at 14:03, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> If we create a new method, I would like to ask for the possibility to
>> return multiple resources. The one situation which doesn't fit well
>> with PUT+location is a PUT of a cyclic event which is flattened by
>> the server to multiple resources.
> So how would you define the semantics for that in a generic way? A
> multi-part request body?

No, the request body is just one entity. The difference is that the
server might decide to split the resource provided by the request into
multiple resources on the server.

The example is in the quote above, you ADDMEMBER an iCalendar entity
which contains a recurrence rule. A lot of servers do not work with
calculated recurrences as in iCal, but rather maintain a recurrence as
a set of individual events. So if the requests arrives at such a
server, it would create n different resources for a single request
entity.
It would be nice to be able to report that fact to the client.

Actually I'm not sure whether something like this belongs into a core
HTTP draft, I think the mentioned example is the only one which comes
to my mind which requires that type of a response.

Well, maybe another one: you ADDMEMBER a vCard which contains
firstname/lastname and a company. In a lot of systems company contacts
and person contacts are stored in different entities. So the vCard
might be split into two entities.

regards,
   Helge
--