Re: [Simple] Some thoughts on XCAP's resource architecture

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> KAWAGUTI Ginga wrote:

>>> XCAP's target document is usually written in UTF-8(it's XML),
>>

>> Unless XCAP says something normative, it could be any encoding. As far
>> as I can tell, the actual decoding doesn't matter at all as long as it
>> is one of the XML required ones (thus UTF-8 or UTF-16).
>>
>>> so XCAP requires Xpath stuff(utf-8) into URL part, which is usually
>>> considered as US-ASCII.
>>> There are ways to encode utf-8 string into URL part, but
>>> I don't think there's any unique, robust and common way for doing it.
>>

>> No matter what encoding the document uses, XCAP needs to define that
>> mapping (and yes, that mapping needs to be based on UTF-8).
>

> This is a good point; I've gotten a private comment about this as well.
> I think the simplest thing is to normatively state that all XML
> documents managed by XCAP have to be utf-8 encoded. In terms of a

That may be a bad choice if lots of your data is in characters that need
multi-byte sequences, in which case UTF-16 may be more efficient. I
think XCAP should simply stick with what XML requires (which is UTF-8
and UTF-16, nothing more).

> mapping from UTF-8 strings into a URI, can you clarify why this is hard?
> Isn't it just a matter of escape-coding the octet sequence associated
> with non-ascii characters (I admit this is not my area of expertise and
> I likely am missing something here).

This isn't hard, one just needs to define it.

Julian