Re: MIME registration for application/gdiff

Hello Lisa,

At 09:36 04/09/27 -0700, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

>>However, I'm not totally sure whether e.g. in HTTP, this should
>>be used as a media type. What happens if some resource is negotiated
>>by content type (e.g. like for
>>http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri)?
>>How do the client and the server make sure they apply the diff
>>to the same representation of the resource?
>>
>>Regards,   Martin.
>
>The design of the PATCH headers, and whether to use a MIME type in the
>Content-Type field or whether to apply an instance manipulation, has
>already been discussed in the HTTP Working Group mailing list somewhat, so
>I'm cc'ing ietf-http-wg and bcc'ing ietf-types (in replying to Martin's
>mail on ietf-types).

If that has been looked at, then it probably should be okay.

>I wasn't aware of any servers that actually allowed content negotiation
>between static representations.  I did think about this problem, but as
>far as I know there's no standard way of telling the server to create a
>new representation of an existing resource.  What happens if you have a
>resource that is in one Content-Type and you PUT a body that's another
>Content-Type?  I would think the correct action would normally be for the
>server to replace the resource with one of a new Content-Type.  How do you
>create a new representation of an existing resource in a new content type
>and how does that request differ from overwriting an existing
>representation with the new content type?
>
>How does <http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri> work?

There are three actual files on the server,
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.xml
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.txt
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.html
and they get content negotiated, but of course can also be
accessed directly. I'm not sure exactly what this is in your
terminology.

Regards,    Martin.