Re: HTTP1.1 Proxy, clients multiple persistent connections

Scott Lawrence wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 08:26, Premysl Kouril wrote:
>
>> I have one more question about this topic. I detected, that after
>> creating couple of multiple connections between client and proxy, client
>> sends requests for different www servers to one particular client-proxy
>> connection (is it ok ?).
>

> Yes.
>
>> My question is how HTTP1.1 proxy (maintains
>> proxy-www_server persistent connections) recognizes which proxy-www
>> connection should be used for incoming client request (and when it shoud
>> create new proxy-www connection).
>

> The proxy should examine each request (regardless of what connection it
> is on) and determine what origin server it is for.
>
> Note that a successful CONNECT request changes this by switching the
> connection into a transparent tunnel - the proxy should not examine or
> alter anything in that connection; just relay bits through it until the
> connection is closed by the endpoints.

I can't imagine how can proxy make tunnel, because one client-to-proxy
connection can handle with many requests which are for many different
www servers and also new connections to new www servers can come from
this connection anytime after first CONNECT request from this connection
was established. So I think that proxy should examine everything and
everytime in that connection. It would also mean, that server side
tunnel would have many ends and there would be no possibility how to
determine when proxy server should close connection to client, isn't it ?