RE: %NN encoding, request/response headers, UTF-8 ?

They are still used, I think.... (e.g. IE)

The specification expects ASCII characters, but if UTF-8 is compatible with
ASCII and the spec this can be used.

No, solely ASCII, according to the spec. It states ASCII characters, with a
range from 0x00 to 0xFF. Depending on what you are entering, there may be
some more limitations (see spec).

> - if so, if UTF-8 encoding is allowed\

Don't know about UTF-8, I thought IE could use it to encode the URL.

> - how a client indicates to the server that it's using UTF-8
> - how an HTTP server application decides how to interpret
>   hex-encoded information, e.g. is %C3%B1 encoding two characters,
>   or the UTF-8 encoding for the single character "ñ"
> - how/if a server might use UTF-8 in its response headers
>
>It looks like any content that is sent with MIME headers
>(e.g., an object
>sent by the HTTP server) could be announced with a charset
>value indicating
>UTF-8 encoding, but that headers (request or response) are
>only expected to
>contain characters 0x00 -> 0xFF. Yet I don't see this clearly stated.
>
>It seems fairly clear, though, that double-byte character sets
>(e.g., 16
>bits for each character regardless of its value) should not be used in
>either request or response headers. Right?

Seems like it. It might, however, be possible to encode them so they comply
with the spec. Still, I'm not sure about this.

>I appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this topic.
>
>-Peter
>http://www.tux.org/~peterw/

- Joris