RE: Host header issue

I cant say if this is consensus, but my take was that
you only use the host header when you are proxying/requesting
http urls.  This is because the Host: header and value
only make sense for HTTP URLS.

The main point of adding the host header was to address
the "shortcoming" of http urls that didnt indicate
a host portion.