Re: http acceleration and Date headers

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Michael Pelletier wrote:

> My problem was that the remote server was about five to ten minutes off,
> hence the modification date of a file was off.  So, when an
> if-modified-since request was sent from my Squid server, whose clock is
> synchronized with the world time standard, the file would show up as not
> modified until enough minutes had passed to make up for the clock error.

  Proxies (squid) should not use its own time for the response when doing
a conditional get request; it should use the time in the Last-Modified (or
if that is not there, then Date) header from the original response.  This
avoids the clock syncronization problem because the origin server is
always using timestamps from its own clock.