Re: Minutes of 1/21 editorial teleconference...

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Scott Lawrence wrote:

> >> #AUTH-INFO-SYNTAX has been quiet on the mailing list, and we didn't
> >> get to discussing it at today's meeting.  Please look at it and comment.
>
> JF> I believe we reached consensus to eliminate the Authentication-info
> JF> header from the authentication specification.  If this is done its
> JF> syntax should be moot.
>
>   The consensus was to remove the entity digest - the
>   Authentication-info header field is still needed for the nextnonce
>   attribute - a big performance win.

You are right.  There was not a consensus to remove
Authentication-info/nextnonce.

I am sceptical of its utility however.  It would be useful if
a typical session looked like

 request - response - request - response -  request - response...

rather than

 5 piplined requests - 5 piplined responses

But the latter is much more likely to be typical.

John Franks
john@math.nwu.edu