Re: cache-busting document

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 P.Lister@cranfield.ac.uk wrote:
> As there's no reason not to insert an authenticated image into an
> unauthenticated document, it's arguable that if a logo *is* going to
> be pulled via https at some point, then there's no point in pulling a
> non-https version as well.

Except that the non-https version may be used several times in
unauthenticated documents and will be cachable whilst the https one won't
be cachable (if I understand things correctly) and will have to be
retrieved each and every time. And that's what we should all be working to
avoid IMHO.  The web is too slow much of the time as it is, and this is
common experience here even though we have a fast SMDS pipe to the rest of
the world.  Pity the poor sods with 28.8K modems behind a congested
commerical ISP.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll

Jon "Jim'll" Knight, Researcher, Sysop and General Dogsbody, Dept. Computer
Studies, Loughborough University of Technology, Leics., ENGLAND.  LE11 3TU.
* I've found I now dream in Perl.  More worryingly, I enjoy those dreams. *