RE: NS, Verisign, Firefly proposal [was Re: Revised charter ,milestones

Several comments on this spec:

I was given to understand by Nick Grouf (CEO of Firefly) yesterday that
the OPS
spec was submitted to the W3C.  I have not yet seen it yet.

My understanding is that it defines the format and API for allowing apps
access profiles.

In addition, there are clear statements that:
Users must explicitly consent to the information being shared

The point is that privacy IS protected because the user is informed of
the use of the
information, has control over the information (can update it), and has
provided
consent.

In addition, I do think that the W3C is the right place for this.
Personally, I feel that
PICS, as a generic rating system should have been an IETF standard and
that the explicit social policies supported by it  (i.e., adult content
rating and privacy issues) should be addressed by W3C.

One pet peeve I have:  I don't know about the OPS spec, but Firefly
Passports
(which are the basis) talk about anomynity yet require an email address.
 In my
book any user identified by a real email address is NOT anonymous and I
will vehemently oppose the spec as a W3C member if the OPS standard
maintains
that definition.  On the other hand, Firefly does an excellent job
otherwise of informing Passport holders of what the information will be
used for and
attempting to provide a benefit in return.  In short, even though
Firefly Passports are not anonymous, I think that they provide
sufficient disclosure.

BTW: EFF, ETrust, Firefly, myself, and others will be at the Federal
Trade Commision in early June discussing these matters and I think that
you will find that us "evil web marketers" actually have strong
convictions about privacy and that those opinions are dramatically at
odds with the traditional direct marketing and advertising community.