Re: Back from the grave: Unverifiable Transactions and Cookies

Benjamin Franz:

>Oh boy. It looks to me like the 'but unverifiable transactions are GOOD'
>crowd just went the guerilla PR route. Those of you who get ClariNet
>should check out the article titled: "****Online Professionals Support Web
>Cookies 04/23/97" <URL:news:Naf6_35U@clari.net>, clari.tw.top.

I found the same article in biz.clarinet, which is a more common
newsgroup I believe.  There is also an article about this at
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,9962,00.html, though that one does
not have the quote below.

> If you were
>to take what the 'Association of Online Professionals (AOP)' says at face
>value you would think that the WG had just proposed turning off ALL
>cookies by default (naughty, naughty WG).
>
>Fair use excerpt:
>
>  Among the negative impacts, according to McClure are a "potential
>  loss of services from online services such as MSN, which rely on
>  cookies for passwords, preferences and other common tasks; loss of
>  all electronic commerce that relies on cookies, including those
>  based on the "shopping cart" models; and loss of one of the major
>  methods of advertising effectiveness analysis for Web sites that
>  rely on such revenues and sponsorships for their economic base."
>
>Am I crazy or of the items they list is the ONLY one *actually* affected
>the "loss of one of the major methods of advertising effectiveness
>analysis for Web sites"?

Yes, only that one is affected somewhat.  And even `advertising
effectiveness analysis' does not rely on cookies that much.

>The Big Lie lives....
>
>--
>Benjamin Franz

Koen.