Re: Issues-list item "CACHING-CGI"

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> Looking at Squid 1.1 (1.0 was slightly different)
>
>     if (AGE > MAX_AGE)
>         return STALE
>     if (LM_FACTOR < PERCENT)
>         return FRESH
>     return STALE
>
> (from Release-Notes-1.1.txt)
>
> So, if I understand this correctly, with a stock config file:
>
> Objects with a Last-Modified header are cached for 3 days, or when they
> expire, or for 20% of their age when cached, whichever is shortest.

***> Objects without a Last-Modified header are cached for 3 days, or
***> until > they expire.

WRONG! My mistake. If LM_FACTOR is undefined, the algorithm returns
STALE. Squid 1.1.2 issues a GET/If-Modified-Since every time if neither
Last-Modified nor Expires are defined.

Andrew Daviel         mailto:advax@triumf.ca
TRIUMF & Vancouver Webpages