Re: mid-course errors

Scott Lawrence wrote:

> [...]
> HS> I seem to recall discussions about Content-Length as a chunked
> HS> footer, and I seem to recall it was considered a bad idea.

Actually, those words were mine.

>   We did agree that Content-Length could be added by a Proxy, for what
>   that is worth; it doesn't seem so different.
> [...]

That's different.  A proxy can collect the entire chunked response and, once
successful, can add a Content-Length header in the message headers (and eliminate
chunking).  If there's a Content-Length as a footer, then we have to decide what
to do if that length disagrees with the entity body length gathered through
chunking.  Jeff Moguls's solution, "consider the response to be broken", is one
choice.  Another possibility is "disregard the (obviously wrong) header".

Dave Kristol