Re: issue: what version?

At 12:05 PM -0500 1996-12-03, Dave Kristol wrote:
>I don't recall whether the following issue was resolved on the mailing list:
>
>What protocol version number should an HTTP/1.1-compliant origin server
>send for an HTTP/1.0 request?

My understanding was that this *was* resolved to be 1.

CL-HTTP was patched from 2 to 1 as a result of the discussions, and
subsequent releases have continued to use 1.

The 1.0 proxy was the critical argument.  Read Henrik's list.

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Forum/Conformance.html

I find it somewhat strange that this issue is still floating around and
that some people have switched positions (!).

Anyway, we need a definitive statement or we're going to continue to see lots of
confusion.