RE: Hit-metering: to Proposed Standard?

>----------

If I ran a corporate cache, I'd want to use hit-metering to whatever
origin sites supported it. Today, those sites cost me one network round
trip for every GET done to fetch a "cache-busted" page from the sites,
and I give away (via Referer, etc.) information with each request.  With
hit-metering, origin sites that support it could cut the round trips by
any factor they chose, while still getting hit-count information; and
the corporation would be giving away less information about the
requests.  I.e., win-win.

>In my view, the hit-metering proposal seems to request large amounts of
>work for proxies at nearly no benefit - to anyone.

Benefits to end users -- faster response time
Benefits to cache owners -- less network bandwidth needed
Benefit to origin sites -- customer gets page faster, is more pleased
with site

Paul