Re: Content Negotiation: state of the art!

David W. Morris:
>On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Koen Holtman wrote:
>
>> We don't think that a numeric range N -- infinity is a frequently
>> occuring case, so there is no ftag>=N form to optimize it.
>
>Huh? I would expect a version check for at least N to be heavily used

I do too, and it is accounted for.  What happens is that the user
agent uses a feature-expr "x_version<=100" to say:

 I support X versions 0 -- 100

and that an origin server uses an fpred (feature predicate)
"x_version=80" to say:

 This variant uses version 80 of X

So a >= operator is never used in version checks.

>just like size<=N might be heavily used. Sometimes logical completeness
>is sufficient to justify inclusion of a feature and that should be
>the case here.

As the draft is large already, I've been operating on the principle
`never include an optimisation you cannot justify', so I did not
include >=.

However, adding >= would only cost a few lines of code in the average
implementation.  If you feel that symmetry considerations justify
these lines, I'll add >= in the next version.

>Dave Morris

Koen.