Fwd: Discussion of new object-oriented binary wire protocol for HTTP-NG

Larry asked me to forward a copy to this list...

Bill
---------- Forwarded message begins here ----------

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 15:45:03 PDT
From: Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Discussion of new object-oriented binary wire protocol for HTTP-NG

I've been encouraged by both the OMG and the W3C to start considering
what a distributed object wire protocol might look like, if it was to
support an object-oriented variant of HTTP, whatever that might mean.
I intend to post a straw-man document describing such a wire protocol
to the HTTP-NG mailing list next week some time, with some initial
thinking in order to start a discussion about this topic.

If you're interested in participating in such a discussion, you should
read the archive of the HTTP-NG list at

   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ses/http-ng-archive/

Also, explore the documents about HTTP-NG thinking so far, at

   http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP-NG/

In particular, read about the MUX protocol

   http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP-NG/mux/simplemux.html

as session state established with such a protocol will be important in
the design of an efficient wire protocol.

You might also download and build ILU, the distributed object system
from PARC, which has already been used in some of the HTTP-NG
experiments, and which I propose to continue using for prototyping
and experimentation:

   ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html

Finally, to subscribe to http-ng, send the following in the body (not
the subject line) of an email message to "Majordomo@tipper.oit.unc.edu":

   subscribe http-ng

This will subscribe the account from which you send the message to
the http-ng list.

If you wish to subscribe another address instead (such as a local
redistribution list), you can use a command of the form:

   subscribe http-ng other-address@your_site.your_net

Bill
 Bill Janssen  <janssen@parc.xerox.com> (415) 812-4763  FAX: (415) 812-4777
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304