Re: REPOST (was: HTTP working group status & issues)

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Dave Kristol wrote:

> Let me inject a practical and quasi-political consideration into the
> discussion about "Redo-safe: yes" and friends.
>[...]
> pages to support their bookmarks.  What HTML mark-up would encode a
> POST-style bookmark?
>
> Yes, vendors could return to keeping their bookmarks in an internal
> form.  But the quasi-political consideration is that vendors that are
> committed to the HTML approach may have no way to represent the
> POST-able bookmarks.  Those vendors that take compatibility seriously
> will be in a bind.

And what vendors are those ?? Are you talking about the vendors who on
a regular basis add new features to HTML? In any case, there are any
number of possible solutions.  Surely this is an issue outside the scope
of this working group.  The postulate is that some set of user agents
may want to remember POST requests in a bookmark like facility. Given
that postulate, how does the protocol allow the UA to behave in a safe
fashion.

Dave Morris