revised HTTP working group charter

I was asked to assert that the working group charter was up to date.
Since we've changed the schedule somewhat, I've prepared the following
proposed revised charter, which I hope will be accepted without
objections. (Current official charter
http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/html.charters/http-charter.html).

HYPERTEXT TRANSFER PROTOCOL (HTTP) CHARTER

CHAIR(S)
    o Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
    o Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>

APPLICATIONS AREA DIRECTOR(S):
    o Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
    o Harald Alvestrand <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>

AREA ADVISOR
    o John Klensin <Klensin@mci.net>

MAILING LIST INFORMATION
    o General Discussion:http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
        * In Body: subscribe http-wg Your Full Name
    o Archive: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail
	       ftp://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail.tar.Z

DESCRIPTION OF WORKING GROUP

Note: This working group is jointly chartered by the Applications Area
and the Transport Services Area.

The HTTP Working Group will work on the specification of the Hypertext
Transfer Protocol (HTTP). HTTP is a data access protocol currently run
over TCP and is the basis of the World Wide Web. The initial work has
been to document existing practice and short-term extensions. Current
work is to clarify, extend and revise the protocol. Directions which
have already been mentioned include: improved efficiency, extended
operations, extended negotiation, richer metainformation, and ties
with security protocols.

Note: the HTTP working group will not address HTTP security extensions as these are
expected to be the topic of another working group.

Background information

The initial specification of the HTTP protocol was kept in hypertext
form and a snapshot circulated as an Internet draft between 11/93 and
5/94. A revision of the specification by Berners-Lee, Fielding and
Frystyk Nielsen has been circulated as an Internet draft between 11/94
and 5/95. An overview of the state of the specifications and a
repository of pointers to HTTP resources may be found at

	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/Overview.html

A description of HTTP/1.0 as it is generally practiced currently on
the Internet has been submitted to become an Informational RFC.  The
working group is considering enhancements/restrictions to the current
practice in order to form a specification of the HTTP protocol
suitable for eventual consideration as a proposed standard.

GOALS AND MILESTONES

   Done
      Submit HTTP/1.0 specification for publication as an Informational RFC.

   Done
      Complete review of HTTP/1.1 proposal and pending I-Ds by
      subgroups: Persistent connections; cache-control and proxy
      behavior; content negotiation; authentication;state
      management;range retrievals; extension mechanisms; other new
      methods and header features.

   Apr 96
      Revised HTTP/1.1 draft (by editing team led by Jim Gettys <jg@w3.org>).

   May 96
      Submit HTTP/1.1 as Proposed Standard

   Jun 96
      Review additional features for HTTP/1.2

   Oct 96
      Submit HTTP/1.2 as Proposed Standard

CURRENT INTERNET-DRAFTS

    o Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.0 (126509 bytes). (There is also a
      PostScript version [233107 bytes].)
    o A Proposed Extension to HTTP : Digest Access Authentication (14989 bytes)
    o Byte Range Retrieval Extension to HTTP (23286 bytes)
    o Persistent HTTP Connections (17300 bytes)
    o Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1 (227455 bytes)

*** The following should be listed as related drafts:

   14401 Feb 25 22:51 draft-hallam-http-logfile-00.txt

   11054 Feb 25 22:50 draft-hallam-http-proxy-note-00.txt

   25690 Feb 25 22:51 draft-hallam-http-session-id-00.txt

   54102 Feb 23 23:13 draft-holtman-http-negotiation-00.txt

   17300 Feb 21 23:19 draft-ietf-http-ses-ext-01.txt

  136425 Mar 13 03:40 draft-khare-http-pep-01.ps
   57385 Mar 13 03:34 draft-khare-http-pep-01.txt

   31350 Sep 25 19:15 draft-kristol-http-state-info-01.ps
   16168 Sep 25 19:15 draft-kristol-http-state-info-01.txt

   92668 Feb 20 02:01 draft-mogul-http-caching-00.txt

NO REQUEST FOR COMMENTS