Re: Transparency vs. Performance: survey of opinion

I agree with Shel -- and I think his statement is not inconsistent with
Jeffs' and reflects what I heard at the caching subgroup meeting.

I'd summarize my take on the essential item as:  the server should
provide information to proxies and clients, on each response, on the
relative desirability of trading off transparency for performance for
the resource contained in that response.

There are cases where the server knows for sure that  if the client or proxy
ignores the servers advice, then the user's view of the web-based
application will be that it is broken.  One of the things  that causes
"clients that don't work well with servers, as far as users are
concerned, [to] not survive in the marketplace" is if you can point out
that the client ignored information sent in compliance with the HTTP
protocol defined.  In turn, it is necessary for what the HTTP protocol
defines to be flexible enough that servers don't have to ask for too
many performance sacrifices in order to get the behavior they need.  As
it is now, clients want to ignore "no-cache" because servers demand it
even when weaker behavior would do (but isn't defined in HTTP).

Paul