Re: more on Digest Auth

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> John,
>
> My notes say that we are expecting a new draft of digest
> authentication from the authors, of which you are one.
>

> Your note left me with the impression that you are unaware of any
> plans to update the specification.
>
> Did I just imagine that we were going to see a revised draft? If not
> from you, from whom?

It is my recollection that Jeff Hostetler at Spyglass agreed to write
a new version.  But I could be wrong.  While there are a number of
"authors" who contributed to the proposal, it originated with Spyglass.

Obviously, I would like to see the proposal advance.  It seems to me
that it is appropriate for the revisions to come from Spyglass as they
have the greatest vested interest in existing commercial
implementations.  Also they (presumably) get paid for doing this stuff
and I don't.

Changes along the lines you list would be valuable and should be
made.  I do not believe these changes would cause any existing
implementations to cease to function.  I remain hopeful that digest
authentication will be widely implemented and I did not intend to
convey anything to the contrary.

My point was that people should be aware that changes which break
existing commercial implementations would require a *very compelling
argument*.  I do not find the arguments so far to be that compelling
and I have no vested interest in current implementations.  I suspect
those with investment in current implementations will also not find
the arguments sufficiently compelling.

		john@math.nwu.edu