Re: Proposal on removing Content Negotiation from http 1.1

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Daniel DuBois wrote:
> I think the idea that content negotiation should be scrapped is the most
> ridiculous thing ever proposed to this working group.

Well, that's a tough competition ;), but I certainly agree that this is a
contender for the title.  More politely put, content negotiation
addresses one of the most significant problems on the Web today, and
should not be put off.

I have a counterproposal: let's abolish the User-Agent header!  Since
everyone's violating Netscape's trademark and identifying themselves as
'Mozilla' anyways, the header provides no useful information.

Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>, <marc@organic.com>