Re: Host: header and port number

BearHeart / Bill Weinman wrote:
>    Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't seem to figure
> out what a server would do with the port number.
>
>    If a request comes in on, say port 80, and it says:
>
>    www.foo.com:8000
>
>    What does the server do with that?

Probably nothing. In outlandish theory it could provide a way for people
to provide HTTP data from non-standard ports to people behind
restrictive firewalls (the request came for port 80, but they're
interested in the specialized stuff on port 8000 that their firewall
won't let them get to).

But that's confusing the issue and I can't see a pressing need for that.
Really, the port from the URL provides the server no information that it
didn't already have. This point was brought up in the blizzard of
discussion following the original Host: proposal.

My point is mainly that the extra 3-6 bytes are harmless.
--
Rob McCool, robm@netscape.com
Stunt Programmer, Netscape Communications Corporation