intent of POST

With regard to the wording:

Bob Jernigan wrote:

> This view seems to represent a Mosaic (incl derivatives)-centric
> view of clients on the Web.  In our Intranet environment, the main
> client is MS-Excel with appropriate add-ins for http.

Isn't MS-Excel a kind of form?

However, all of this reminds me that there is an unfortunate
intertwining of methods and URL schemes. We might not want to add new
methods to HTTP if those methods might not be representable in other
protocols, less we make other-protocol gateways not have an obvious
implementation.

URL schemes and their methods:

http:  GET, PUT, POST
ftp:   GET, PUT
mailto: GET, POST
telnet: GET(?)
wais:  GET
news: GET (POST?)
nttp: GET

and HEAD means first-part-of-GET

If you add other methods, you might have to at least define whether
proxies are expected to implement any protocols for those other
methods.